April 19, 2014
MANCHESTER, Mass. --- The University of Notre Dame men's tennis team finished its regular season today with a dominating sweep of Boston College. With the 7-0 win, the Irish improve to 18-8 on the season and 7-4 in the ACC.
"We are happy to finish the regular season with a decisive win," said head coach Ryan Sachire. "Our guys did a good job of preparing for this match. We are building each week and are hopeful to make another jump over the next few days as we get ready for the ACC tournament."
Notre Dame made quick work of the Eagles in doubles, with senior Greg Andrews and freshman Josh Hagar defeating Nelson and Wagner, 8-5 at No. 1 and sophomores Alex Lawson and Quentin Monaghan crushing Raude and Thirouin, 8-0.
The Irish did not drop even a set in the singles matches. Both Andrews and Hagar won sets in tiebreakers, but each member of the Notre Dame team won their match in straight sets.
As Sachire said, now the Irish set their sets on the ACC Championship, which begins later this week in Cary, N.C.
1. Andrews/Hagar (ND) defeat Nelson/Wagner (BC), 8-5
2. Lawson/Monaghan (ND) defeat Raude/Thirouin (BC), 8-0
3. Workman/Childree (BC) vs. Dooley/Bandy (ND), (6-3), ret.
1. Andrews (ND) defeats Nelson(BC), 6-4, 7-6
2. Monaghan (ND) defeats Raude(BC), 6-1, 6-3
3. Hagar (ND) defeats Workman(BC), 7-6, 6-0
4. Covalschi (ND) defeats McNulty(BC), 6-2, 6-1
5. Schnurrenberger (ND) defeats Childree(BC), 6-2, 6-0
6. McCoy (ND) defeats Wagner(BC), 6-2, 6-3
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant