|Jakub Pietrowski wins for Notre Dame. (file photo)|
Jan. 18, 1998
Irish Open Season with Tough 4-3 Win at Minnesota
BURNSVILLE, Minn. -- In a match that finished late Saturday night, Notre Dame's 23rd-ranked men's tennis team rallied for a 4-3 opening-season win at regional rival Minnesota. After the Gophers swept the doubles to open the match, the Irish won four of the six singles matches to claim the win. Ryan Sachire, Jakub Pietrowski, Brian Patterson and Danny Rothschild won at Nos. 1-4 singles to give Notre Dame the win.
Patterson and Rothschild won in tight three set matches. Patterson rallied to beat Martin Michalowski 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. Rothschild overcame vomiting, a sprained ankle and two injury timeouts for a gutsy 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 win over Jorge Duenas to clinch the match for the Irish
Notre Dame returns to the court with home-opening matches on Sat., Jan. 24, against Miami (Ohio) and DePaul.
NOTRE DAME 4, MINNESOTA 3
1. Martin Michalowski/Tyson Parry (MN) def. Brian Patterson/Jakub Pietrowski (ND) 8-5
2. Tom Chicoine/ Jorge Duenas (MN) def. Matt Daly/Danny Rothschild (ND) 9-7
3. Adam Selkirk/Jon Svensson (MN) def. Ryan Sachire/Andy Warford (ND) 8-6
1. Sachire (ND) def. Chicoine (MN) 6-0, 6-3
2. Pietrowski (ND) def. Selkirk (MN) 6-1, 6-1
3. Patterson (ND) def. Michalowski (MN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Rothschild (ND) def. Duenas (MN) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
5. Parry (MN) def. Eric Enloe (ND) 6-7, 6-0, 6-2
6. Svensson (MN) def. Warford (ND) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1