Current Student-Athlete Benefits
One of the goals of the Notre Dame Monogram Club is to provide ongoing support for the current Notre Dame student-athletes. The following is a listing of benefits currently provided to student-athletes:
The Monogram Club held its first two Letter Jacket Ceremonies to honor first-time Monogram winners during the 2008-09 academic year. Over 200 student-athletes received their Monogram jackets at a special ceremony held in the Monogram Room. Now an annual tradition, student-athletes from winter and spring sports receive their jackets at a ceremony in the fall, while student-athletes from fall sports receive theirs at a ceremony in the spring.
In 2009, the Monogram Club established the Postgraduate Scholarship Program as a means of continued support to its members. Under the program, one female and one male student-athlete who earned a Monogram at any point in their undergraduate career are annually awarded a postgraduate scholarship in recognition of outstanding academic achievement, service, leadership and potential for success in postgraduate study. The Monogram Club is pleased to recognize Christopher Iverson ('12, student manager) and Stephanie Myers ('12, fencing) as the 2011-12 recipients of the Monogram Club's Postgraduate Scholarships.
Annually, the Monogram Club sponsors programs, projects and initiatives to help enhance the competitive and educational experiences of Notre Dame student-athletes. Recent initiatives include:
- Committed $1 million in funding towards outdoor varsity athletic facilities at Notre Dame
- Purchased desktop computers for the Student Welfare & Development Lounge ("The Commons")
- In 2011-12 through the Brennan-Boland-Riehle Scholarship Fund, awarded $307,750 in Notre Dame scholarship assistance to 31 children of Monogram Club members
- Provided $79,305 for post-season gifts and awards (championship rings, ACC awards, etc.)
- Distributed funding to help Notre Dame varsity sports travel abroad for competition and training, which included men's lacrosse to Japan and men's soccer to Sweden in June 2010, as well as softball to Australia in 2011
- Provided annual funding of $25,000 in support of the team-hosting program to help Notre Dame athletics teams enjoy cultural experiences on the road. In 2011-12, examples of this funding included a women's lacrosse trip to Disneyworld, women's basketball evening at Blue Man Group, and a women's tennis luau event during the team's competition in Hawaii.
- Financially supported student-athletes, through the Dave Bossy Scholarship Grant. Scholarships are awarded to students-athletes who volunteer to work in summer service programs, in conjunction with the Center for Social Concerns.
- Supported events and programs for current student-athletes in conjunction with the Athletic Department and the Office of Student Welfare & Development.
- Provided student-athletes with their annual varsity monogram awards (totaling $48,687 in 2011-12), which includes a monogram jacket, ring, stadium blanket and watch
- Awarded two, $5,000 Monogram Club Postgraduate Scholarships
- Created a mentoring program in 2009 that provides student-athletes with career development opportunities by pairing them with Monogram winners working in their fields of interest. More than 150 student-athletes have been successfully matched since the program's inception