The History of the Pink Zone
The WBCA began the WBCA Pink Zone in 2007 as an initiative to raise breast cancer awareness in women's basketball, on campuses and in communities.
In 2007, more than 120 schools unified for this effort and helped make the inaugural year a success. In 2008, over 1,200 teams and organizations participated, reaching over 830,000 fans and raising over $930,000 for breast cancer awareness and research. The 2009 campaign raised over $1.3 million, reached over 912,000 fans, unified more than 1,600 participating teams and organizations, and saw 56+ schools break attendance records at their event. In 2010, over 1,800 participants came together to surpass $1,045,000 in donations and reached more than 922,000 fans across the nation. Over 22 schools broke attendance records through their participation.
Overall, the WBCA Pink Zone has raised nearly $3.3 Million, has reached almost 2.7 Million fans, and has unified over 4,700 participants in only four years.
Notre Dame's Involvement with the Pink Zone
The University of Notre Dame women's basketball program raised $103,750 as part of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Pink Zone breast cancer initiative during the 2009-10 season. That total not only more than doubled the 2009-10 fund-raising total of more than $45,000, but it also far surpassed Notre Dame's preseason goal of $55,000 for its 2009-10 Pink Zone campaign. The goal for the 2010-11 campaign is $111,000.
Funds raised from this year's Pink Zone events at Notre Dame will be donated nationally to the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund and locally to the Foundation of Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center's Women's Task Force, which includes the Secret Sisters Society and Young Survivors group.
- 2/12/11 - #8 Irish Dominate Rutgers in Pink Zone Victory, 71-49
- 2/11/11 - #8 Irish Host Rutgers Saturday In Annual Pink Zone Game
- 1/17/11 - Irish Women's Basketball Team To Participate In Pink Zone Spin-A-Thon Saturday
- 1/13/11 - NBC Correspondent Anne Thompson To Keynote Pink Zone Luncheon
- 3/13/10 - Notre Dame Tops Six Figures In WBCA Pink Zone Donations For 2009-10
- 2/14/10 - No. 4 Notre Dame Downs DePaul, 90-66
- 2/13/10 - #4/3 Irish Play Host To DePaul Sunday In Annual Pink Zone Game
- 4/6/09 - Notre Dame Wins Inaugural WBCA Pink Zone Challenge
- 4/2/09 - Notre Dame One Of Four Finalists For Inaugural WBCA Pink Zone Challenge Title
- 3/16/09 - Irish Break The Bank For WBCA Pink Zone In 2008-09
- 2/8/09 - Notre Dame Drops DePaul In Tight One, 62-59
- 2/7/09 - #19/16 Irish Face #25 DePaul In Sunday's Pink Zone Matinee
- 12/16/08 - Lineup Set For Inaugural WBCA Pink Zone Challenge
- 6/2/08 - Notre Dame Announces Inaugural WBCA Pink Zone Challenge