March 20, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. --- Notre Dame women’s golf team travels to University Club in Baton Rouge, La. this weekend for the LSU Tiger Golf Classic. The Irish did not participate in the event last year, when Arkansas shot 35 over par (899) to win by 10 shots over Tulane and 13 shots over LSU.
The LSU Tiger Golf Classic consists of 15 teams, eight of which are ranked in the top 50. Head coach Susan Holt knows that this tournament is filled with strong competition.
“This is a great field and certainly gives us the chance to pick up a number of quality wins and continue to prepare us for the post season run in May,” Holt says.
The Fighting Irish are coming off their annual Notre Dame Clover Cup Tournament this past weekend, where they finished second in the field of 15 teams. Nhim was the tournament champion, shooting 213 (68-72-73), three below par.
Holt likes keeping her golfers busy on the course so they can gain experience.
“We feel good about coming right back out and competing again this weekend,” she explains. “When I did the schedule, I thought it made sense to just keep playing after spending eight days golfing in Arizona.”
The spring schedule is filled with competition. Holt says she likes what she sees with her team as the spring season progresses and wants to keep things rolling with the Classic this weekend.
“So far this spring I think everyone is working hard and showing steady improvement. With improvement comes confidence, which is what we need to build on as we continue through our spring schedule.” Holt says.
- Participating Teams: Arkansas (No. 5), Baylor (No.43), Central Florida, Denver (No. 39), Kentucky (No. 19), Louisiana-Monroe, LSU (No. 17), Missouri, Notre Dame (No.48), Purdue, SMU (No. 45), TCU, Tulane (No. 33), UNCW, UTSA.
- Location: Baton Rouge, La. University Club (Par; 72 6,215).
- Format: Three-day, 54-hole tournament with 18 holes to be played each day.
- Tee Times: Friday and Saturday Tee times start at 8:30 a.m. There will be an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Sunday.
- Live Coverage: Live scoring will be showed at www.birdiefire.com. There will also be a home page for the tournament on the women’s golf page at LSUsports.net.
--Travis Bowman, Media Relations Intern