May 4, 2018
By Dan Colleran
NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- The Notre Dame women's golf team is set for the Madison Regional of the NCAA Championships, which will take place May 7-9 at the University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin.
The 12th-seeded Irish will be making the program's 12th all-time appearance in NCAA Regional play and the 10th under head coach Susan Holt.
Notre Dame was one of an ACC-record 11 women's golf teams were selected to compete in the NCAA Regionals. Joining the Irish in Madison from the ACC will be top-seeded Duke and eighth-seeded Virginia.
2018 NCAA MADISON REGIONAL
Dates: May 7-9, 2018
Format: 54 holes (18 holes each day)
Tee Times (split tees off No. 1 and No. 10): 8-10:15 a.m. CT Monday - Wednesday. Exact Sunday and Monday tee times determined by team standings at close of prior round. Paired with Campbell and Ohio State, Notre Dame's tee times will begin at 8:45 a.m. CT on the 10th hole.
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Course (Par/Yardage): University Ridge Golf Course (par 72/ 6,313-yards)
Golf Club Website: http://www.universityridge.com/
Golf Course Layout: http://www.universityridge.com/assets/pdfs/URidgeMap.pdf
Live Scoring: Golfstat.com
Tournament Field (conference champions in parentheses):
- Duke University (Atlantic Coast Conference)
- University of Southern California
- Arizona State University
- Northwestern University
- University of Illinois
- Purdue University
- Iowa State University
- University of Virginia
- University of Wisconsin
- Campbell University (Big South Conference)
- The Ohio State University
- University of Notre Dame
- Old Dominion University
- Oregon State University
- University of Idaho (Big Sky Conference)
- Murray State University (Ohio Valley Conference)
- North Dakota State University (The Summit League)
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (Horizon League)
- All told, 72 teams and 24 individuals were selected to compete at one of four NCAA regional sites, each featuring 18 teams and six individuals, May 7-9.
- The three additional 2018 sites include TPC Harding Park in San Francisco, California, hosted by Stanford University; the University of Texas Golf Club in Austin, Texas, hosted by the University of Texas and the Don Veller Seminole Golf Course & Club in Tallahassee, Florida, hosted by Florida State University.
- From regional competition, 24 teams and 12 individuals will advance to the national championships to be played May 18-23 at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
NOTRE DAME'S NCAA APPEARANCES (TEAM)
- 2004 -- 17th (Normal, Illinois)
- 2005 -- 18th (Lubbock, Texas)
- 2008 -- 16th (Austin, Texas)
- 2009 -- 16th (Columbus, Ohio)
- 2010 -- 17th (Columbus, Indiana)
- 2011 -- 5th (Notre Dame, Indiana)*
- 2012 -- 15th (Columbus, Ohio)
- 2013 -- t-15th (Auburn, Alabama)
- 2014 -- 18th (Cle Elum, Washington)
- 2015 -- 8th (South Bend, Indiana)
- 2016 -- t-13th (Birmingham, Alabama)
* - Advanced to NCAA Championship
NOTRE DAME'S NCAA RECORDS BOOK
Best Team Finish
- Fifth place - 2011 (advanced to NCAA Championship)
- Eighth place - 2015
Low Team Score (54 holes)
- 894 -- 2015
- 901 -- 2011
- 908 -- 2013
Low Team Round
- 292 -- 2013 (first round)
- 293 -- 2015 (second round)
- 298 -- 2011 (third round)
- 298 -- 2011 (first round)
Best Individual Finish
- Nicole Zhang (T-8th) -- 2011
- Emma Albrecht (T-13th) -- 2017**
- Kristina Nhim (T-14th) -- 2011
- Becca Huffer (T-16th) -- 2010
- Noriko Nakazaki (T-18th) -- 2007***
- **-competed as individual participant at 2017 NCAA Columbus Regional
- *** - competed as individual participant at 2007 NCAA Central Regional
Low Individual Score(54 holes)
- 221 -- Talia Campbell (2015)
- 221 -- Jordan Ferreira (2015)
- 222 -- Lindsey Weaver (2013)
- 223 -- Talia Campbell (2013)
- 223 -- Nicole Zhang (2011)
Low Individual Round
- 71 -- Talia Campbell , 3rd round (2015)
- 71 -- Talia Campbell, first round (2013)
- 71 -- Nicole Zhang first round (2011)
- 72 -- Shot by five players
2017 NCAA REWIND
- Last season saw Notre Dame's streak of consecutive regional appearances snapped at nine, but then-sophomore Emma Albrecht qualified as an individual.
- Albrecht went on to tie for 13th (75-75-74--224) at the 2017 NCAA Columbus Regional at Ohio State's Scarlet Course (Par 72/6,416 Yards).
- The 13th-place tie marked the second-best finish by a Notre Dame women's golfer in NCAA Regional play.
2017-18 SEASON NOTES
- This season the Irish once again played a challenging schedule and posted top-five finishes at the Minnesota Invitational and the Clover Cup, while also winning the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational for their first tournament win in two years.
- Albrecht earned co-medalist honors at the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational, which was a 16-team field.
- Notre Dame also had a strong showing at the Schooner Fall Classic, finishing tied for sixth in the 15-team field.
- Maddie Rose Hamilton set the program record by shooting a second-round 65 (-6) at the event.
- The -6 also tied for the lowest round in program history in relation to par. Previously, So-Hyun Park (2008-09) and Lisa Maunu (2007-08) also carded six-under par scores, both of which were 66's on par 72 courses.
- Also at the at the Schooner Fall Classic, Notre Dame carded a final round 278 (-6), which marked the second-lowest score in program history, just one stroke off the record of 277 carded in the second round of the 2014 Schooner Classic.
-- ND --
Dan Colleran, Director of Athletics Communications at the University of Notre Dame, has been a part of Fighting Irish Media since August 2015 and coordinates all media and publicity efforts surrounding the Notre Dame hockey and golf programs. A native of Walpole, Massachusetts, Colleran spent the previous three years working with the men's hockey and soccer programs at Providence College. Colleran also spent two years as an Assistant Executive Director of Communications & Championships at the Ivy League and is a graduate of Providence College ('06 & '08G).