June 6, 2018
By Matt Paras
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team is excited to welcome six new members of the Class of 2022 to the program this fall. The incoming class contains a talented mix of players to join a program that has gotten numerous production from freshmen over the past few seasons.
The newest Irish class includes four midfielders, two defenders and one attacker, all of which come from some of the best high school lacrosse programs in the country. Head coach Christine Halfpenny is thrilled to bring in another class that has a strong culture of going up against the best competition during their high school careers.
“We are really excited to welcome these six student-athletes to Notre Dame,” stated Halfpenny. “They bring a wealth of top-to-bottom experience from the attack to the defense. They bring size, speed and a high IQ for the game. They also bring a strong championship experience after playing for a number of titles during their high school careers. That type of experience will be invaluable when they are playing in the top collegiate conference in the country.”
The class hails from four different states and includes a pair of twins along with another sibling joining her sister who is a current member of the team.
“We are also excited about bringing in sisters to the program and Notre Dame has always had a strong tradition of sisters playing for our program,” stated Halfpenny. “Family is one of our core values here at Notre Dame women’s lacrosse and the fact we can have family members competing together and fighting together only makes us stronger as a team.”
Kirsten and Meaghan Scutaro hit both of those categories as the pair have won three state championships so far and are also twin sisters. Both play on the back line and bring a wealth of experience playing against top competition while at Mount Sinai High School.
Midfielders Madison Mote and Cailin Field both bring in three state titles of their own. Field was named a New Jersey Senior All-Star and was a 2017 Academic All-American nominee. Mote was named an Under Armour All-American and will face off against Meaghan Scutaro in the 13th-annual Under Armour All-America Lacrosse Game on June 30 at Johns Hopkins.
Mollie Carr will join her sister Maddie on the team next season and looks to continue her high school success with the Irish. After her senior season, Mollie Carr earned the school’s Bonifat Wilson Award given to the Best All-Around Athlete excelling in multiple sports and exhibiting good sportsmanship and citizenship.
Hannah Dorney rounds out the incoming class and has put together a great career at Comsewogue High School. She was on Inside Lacrosse’s Rising Senior Watch List going into the season and has been named the team MVP the last four years.
The class of 2022 will be joining a team that returns 29 letterwinners and has a great deal of experience throughout the roster.
Mollie Carr – Attack – Rockville, Md. – Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart
- Expected to graduate from Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart in June 2018… four-year varsity letterwinner in lacrosse and basketball and earned three varsity letters in field hockey… named captain senior year and was named the team’s most valuable player… earned first team All-Conference honors the past two seasons… led the team in goals, draw controls, and points during senior year… guided Stone Ridge to its first Washington Post top-10 ranking in 12 years… received the school’s Bonifat Wilson Award given to the Best All-Around Athlete excelling in multiple sports and exhibiting good sportsmanship and citizenship… earned Washington Post All-Met Honorable Mention junior year… won two Field Hockey league championships in her junior and senior year… named team MVP her junior year and captain her senior year… also earned basketball team MVP her junior and senior seasons and team captain her senior year… won the basketball coaches award in her final season.
- Earned the highest honors all four years in the classroom… part of the Cum Laude Society (Top-15 cumulative GPA)… member of Best Buddies and was a volunteer coach for WINNERS lacrosse organization… volunteered at the Father Mckenna Center, a Wider Circle, the Rosemount Early Child Education Center, Interfaith Works, and for Catholic Charities.
- Born in Rockville, Md… daughter of Chuck and Stacy Carr… sister of Maddie Carr who is a junior on the team… brother Jon graduated from Notre Dame this past May… has two other siblings; Julia and Katherine… intends to major in business.
Hannah Dorney – Midfield – Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. – Comsewogue HS
- Expected to graduate from Comsewogue HS in June of 2018… five-year varsity letterwinner in lacrosse, four-year letterwinner in field hockey and also earned two letters in basketball… named to the Inside Lacrosse Rising Senior Watch List heading into the season… also named Newsday Top 100 Girls Lacrosse Players… tallied 48 goals, 42 assists, 44 caused turnovers and 128 ground balls in her senior year… named lacrosse team captain the last four years… was the Comsewogue High School Team MVP and earned All-County and All-Tournament honors during her junior season… ranked No. 19 Rising Junior by Inside Lacrosse and earned a spot on the Newsday Top 20 Players to Watch List… earned Comsewogue High School Team MVP honors and All-County honors in her sophomore and freshman seasons… earned Newsday First Team All-Long Island and All-County honors in field hockey this past year.
- Won the Comsewogue School District Citizenship and Service Award… also the winner of the President’s Award for Outstanding Academic Excellence and United States Marine Corps Distinguished Athlete Award… member of the National Honor Society, Athletes Helping Athletes and Athletes for All… volunteer with the Comsewogue Youth Lacrosse League Fourth Grade Girls Team along with the Kindergarten and First Grade Clinics.
- Born in Port Jefferson Station, N.Y… daughter of Meaghan and Patrick Dorney… has an older brother, Ryan… Ryan is a sophomore on the SUNY Geneseo lacrosse men’s lacrosse team… undecided on a major.
Cailin Field – Midfield – Moorestown, N.J. – Moorestown HS
- Expected to graduate from Moorestown HS in June 2018… three-year varsity letterwinner in lacrosse and two-year letterwinner in cross country… Group 3 NJ State Champion in 2015 and 2018… won three Group 3 South Jersey Championships… competing in the semifinals of the Tournament of Champions this Wednesday for a spot in the title game… Moorestown HS team nationally ranked the past two seasons… led the team in draw controls with 70 in her senior season… also tallied 27 goals, 21 ground balls and seven assists this season… 2017 Academic All-American nominee… named NJ Senior All-Star and All-South Jersey second team attack… also played for South Jersey Select Club Lacrosse… won the Cross Country Liberty Division of Burlington County Scholastic League Championship… Burlington County Scholastic League second team All-Star in 2017 and 2018.
- Honored with four presidential community service awards for achieving over 450 hours of community service… also earned four community service varsity letters.
- Born in Moorestown, N.J… daughter of Laura and Charles Field… has two older brothers; Ryan (23) and Brennen (21)… intends to major in psychology.
Madison Mote – Midfielder – Alexandria, Va. – Bishop Ireton HS
- Expected to graduate from Bishop Ireton in June of 2018… four-year letterwinner in lacrosse, three-year letterwinner in soccer and also earned a letter in cross country… named 2018 All-State Player of the Year and Conference (WCAC) Player of the Year… also named an Under Armour All-American during her senior season… three-time state champion (2015, 2017-18) and won three-straight conference championships (2016-18)… tallied 76 goals, 110 draw controls, and 37 ground balls during her senior campaign… also earned All-Met and Alexandria Sportsman Club Player of the Year honors in 2018… named a Top 40 Young Gun Senior prior to this season and was on the All-Inside Lacrosse preseason team.
- Earned the Ben Carson Scholarship during her junior year… member of the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) and Best Buddies… also a member of the National Honor Society.
- Born in Alexandria, Va… daughter of Jill and Steve Mote… has two siblings; Riley and Jackson… intends to major in business.
Kirsten Scutaro – Defense – Mount Sinai, N.Y. – Mount Sinai HS
- Intends to graduate from Mount Sinai HS in June of 2018… varsity letterwinner in lacrosse and volleyball… three-time New York State Champion and four-time country champion… 2017 Under Armour Underclass Lacrosse Tournament Champion… named to the All-Tournament teams in lacrosse and volleyball in 2017… tallied 38 ground balls, made 35 clears and deflected 20 passes in her senior season… also a National Honor Society member.
- Born in Mount Sinai, N.Y… daughter to Gean and Dan Scutaro… twin-sister Meaghan is also an incoming member of the class of 2022… has two other siblings; Danielle and Matthew… intends to major in business marketing.
Meaghan Scutaro – Defense – Mount Sinai, N.Y. – Mount Sinai HS
- Intends to graduate from Mount Sinai HS in June of 2018… varsity letterwinner in lacrosse, cross country and volleyball… Two-time Under Armour All-American… three-time New York State Champion and four-time country champion… 2017 Under Armour Underclass Lacrosse Tournament Champion … earned all-league, all-tournament team, all-division, and all-inside lacrosse preseason high school team honors… named county championship player of the game her senior season… totaled 23 ground balls, 26 caused turnovers, 14 deflected passes, eight goals, and four assists from the back line this season… National Honor Society Member and named to the All-County Academic team in volleyball.
- Born in Mount Sinai, N.Y… daughter to Gean and Dan Scutaro… twin-sister Kirsten is also an incoming member of the class of 2022… has two other siblings; Danielle and Matthew… undecided on a major.
Matt Paras, athletics communications assistant director at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since January 2018. In his role, he coordinates all media efforts for the Notre Dame women's lacrosse and cross country/track & field programs. A native of Warwick, Rhode Island, Paras is a graduate of the University of Louisville where he completed his bachelor's and master's degrees in Sport Administration. Prior to arriving at Notre Dame, he worked at Vanderbilt University as the sports information contact for the women's soccer and lacrosse programs.