2017 Atlantic Coast Conference All-Academic Team
2017 Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll
AS A FRESHMAN (2017):
• Selected to the ACC All-Academic Team.
• Named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll.
• Saw action in 50 games as a freshman, including 46 starts (45 at second base).
• Batted .264 with eight doubles, four home runs, 21 RBI, five stolen bases and 17 runs scored.
• Hit at a .278 clip (10-for-36) with runners in scoring position.
• Total of five multiple-RBI games ranked fifth on the Irish roster.
• Registered a team-high 211 defensive chances, along with 113 putouts and 87 assists from second base post.
• Drove in first career run against San Diego State (Feb. 11).
• First career hit was a seventh-inning solo home run against No. 11 Michigan (Feb. 19) at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
• Scored a crucial run during a win against No. 11 Georgia (Feb. 24) at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.
• Blasted game-winning home run in the seventh inning to help lift Notre Dame past eventual NCAA champion No. 4 Oklahoma (Feb. 25).
• Crushed a three-run home run in an Irish victory over Charlotte (March 5) at the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic.
• 2-for-3 with a double and two RBI, and added an ESPN Top 10 highlight catch in foul ground during Melissa Cook Stadium debut against Michigan State (March 22).
• Went 3-for-4 with an RBI double and two runs scored to cap ACC sweep of Virginia Tech (March 25).
• Scored a run in four straight games from North Carolina (April 8) through IUPUI (April 12).
• Crossed the plate for a key run during a nightcap win against No. 24 Arkansas (April 29).
• Went 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles and two RBI in game two of an ACC set against Boston College (May 6).
• Closed the series against the Eagles (May 7) with two RBI and a run scored.
• Connected on two doubles, a home run and drove in three runs against East Tennessee State (May 20) during the NCAA Auburn Regional.
PREP AND PERSONAL:
• Four-year letterwinner in softball at The Pingry School.
• Fashioned a .373 batting average with seven home runs, 17 RBI, 13 stolen bases and 29 runs scored as a senior team captain.
• Added a 1.26 ERA and a 13-6 record as a pitcher, striking out 228 batters with only 40 walks in 122.1 innings.
• Earned first team all-state honors, and was first team all-non-public in the state of New Jersey.
• One of 11 players on the NJ.com Player of the Year watch list.
• Batted .500 with seven doubles, seven home runs, 12 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 29 runs scored in only 16 games as a junior team captain.
• Also pitched 106 innings in the circle, striking out 208 opposing hitters.
• Earned all-area, all-county, and all-conference accolades, and was a New Jersey Gatorade Player of the Year nominee.
• Compiled a .678 average with 20 extra-base hits (including 13 home runs), 38 RBI, 22 stolen bases, and 41 runs scored during sophomore campaign.
• Struck out 321 batters in only 147 innings pitched.
• Was a Star Ledger Player to Watch and an all-state selection that season.
• Hit at a .556 clip as a freshman, smashing 10 home runs while driving in 22 runs, stealing 30 bases, and scoring 37 runs.
• Tossed 146 innings in the circle, striking out 287 batters.
• Claimed all-state, all-conference, and all-county first team honors, and was a Star Ledger Player to Watch.
• Also played one season of basketball during freshman year.
• Competed with the New Jersey Intensity KOD club team under head coach Kevin O’Donnell, father of former Irish standout pitcher Brittany O’Donnell – other Irish alumni of Intensity KOD include current players Alexis Bazos, MK Bonamy and Bailey Bigler, and former players O’Donnell, Cassidy Whidden, Megan Sorlie and Carly Piccinich.
• Intensity finished ninth at PGF Nationals during freshman season.
• On the academic honor roll throughout high school career, and has volunteered with St. Vincent DePaul Church, Warren Youth Basketball, Mt. Pleasant Animal Shelter, and the St. Baldrick’s foundation.
• Daughter of Anthony and Patricia Marino.
• Has a twin brother, Anthony.
• Is the seventh Division I athlete in immediate family, joining uncles Jim, Tom, and Matt Bradley who played football at Penn State, mother, Patty, and aunt Cassie Bradley who ran track at Villanova, and uncle, Rich Marino, who played basketball at St. Thomas.
• Enrolled in the First Year of Studies.
Marino's Career Statistics