Feb. 9, 2018
By Michael Scholl
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky -- The Notre Dame women's tennis team dropped a 4-1 decision at Louisville on Friday afternoon in Kentucky.
The loss drops the Irish to 2-2 on the dual match season, while the Cardinals improved to 7-1. It was the first Atlantic Coast Conference match of the season for both squads.
How It Happened
The Irish quickly evened the match at singles, as Rachel Chong cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Maya Smith at six singles.
Louisville then clinched the match at five singles, with Raven Neely notching a 7-6, 6-4 victory over Caroline Dunleavy.
In the two discontinued matches, Notre Dame's Brooke Broda had won the first set, 7-6, and was up, 4-1, in the second, at one singles. At number two singles, Lousiville's Mariana Humberg took the first set, 6-4, but Allison Miller was leading 5-3 in the second set.
At doubles, the Louisville's Pahz and Mariana Humberg secured a 6-2 victory over Broda and Miller at one singles. The Cardinals secured the doubles point with a hard-fought 7-5 win at two doubles, as Neely and Sena Suswam defeated Corse and Spence. Ally Bojczuk and Bess Waldram trailed UofL's Ariana Rodriguez and Aleksandra Mally, 6-5, at three singles when the point was clinched by the Cardinals.
Notes To Know
- Corse and Spence lost at two doubles for the first time this season.
- Corse was handed her first singles defeat of the season.
- It marked the first time in eight matches Louisville defeated Notre Dame.
Louisville 4, Notre Dame 1
Feb. 9, 2017
Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Brooke Broda (ND) vs. Aleksandra Mally (UL), 7-6, 4-1, unfinished
2. Allison Miller (ND) vs. Mariana Humberg (UL), 4-6, 5-3, unfinished
3. Abbie Pahz (UL) def. Zoe Spence (ND), 6-4, 6-1
4. Tiffany Huber (UL) def. Cameron Corse (ND), 6-3, 6-4
5. Raven Neely (UL) def. Caroline Dunleavy (ND), 7-6, 6-4
6. Rachel Chong (ND) def. Maya Smith (UL), 6-1, 6-0
1. Abbie Pahz/Mariana Humberg (UL) def. Brooke Broda/Allison Miller (ND), 6-2
2. Raven Neely/Sena Suswam (UL) def. Cameron Corse/Zoe Spence (ND), 7-5
3. Ally Bojczuk/Bess Waldram (ND) vs. Ariana Rodriguez/Aleksandra Mally (UL), 5-6, unfinished
Order of Finish: Singles - 6,4,3,5; Doubles - 1,2
Notre Dame and Illinois were scheduled to play Sunday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion, but the match has been cancelled due to the winter storm in the Midwest. The Irish return to the court on Sunday, Feb. 18, when they host a doubleheader with Indiana and Wright State. Action begins at 10 a.m. against the Hoosiers and continues against the Raiders at 2 p.m. Both matches can be seen live on UND.com.
-- ND --
Michael Scholl has been a member of the Fighting Irish Media communications staff at his alma mater since August 2016. He serves as the secondary contact for the Irish football and hockey teams, while coordinating communications efforts for the women's tennis program. Scholl has previously worked in communications at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Providence College, Vanderbilt University and the University of Cincinnati. The South Bend, Indiana, native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts and Letters in 2009.