Feb. 15, 2014
ANN ARBOR, Mich. --- The University of Notre Dame women's tennis team suffered its second loss of the season today to No. 13 Michigan. The Irish went down 6-1 to the Wolverines at the Varsity Tennis Center, moving their record to 5-2 on the season.
"We have to compete better on big points," said head coach Jay Louderback. "We had many opportunities in singles and doubles to close out games but let Michigan back in."
Notre Dame was taken down in doubles at No. 2 and No. 3, with sophomore Quinn Gleason and senior Britney Sanders' match at No. 1 going unfinished. The Irish did not fare better in singles, with only senior Jennifer Kellner coming away with a victory at No. 3, defeating 75th-ranked Sarah Lee in a match tiebreaker, 4-6, 6-4, (10-6).
Notre Dame will get back in the action with their first ACC conference match against No. 21 Georgia Tech next Friday, Feb. 21. The match starts at 4:00 p.m. at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
1. No. 12 Emina Bektas (U-M) def. No. 119 Britney Sanders (ND), 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 18 Ronit Yurovsky (U-M) def. No. 99 Quinn Gleason (ND), 6-2, 6-1
3, Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. No. 75 Sarah Lee (U-M), 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
4. No. 98 Brooke Bolender (U-M) def. No. 105 Monica Robinson (ND), 6-3, 6-0
5. Amy Zhu (U-M) def. Mary Closs (ND), 7-6(4), 6-3
6. Laura Ucros (U-M) def. Julie Vrabel
(ND), 7-5, 7-5
1. No. 9 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (U-M) vs. No. 27 Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND), 7-5 DNF
2. Sarah Lee/Amy Zhu (U-M) d. No. 41 Jennifer Kellner/Monica Robinson (ND), 8-3
3. Ronit Yurovsky/Laura Ucros (U-M) d. Mary Closs/Julie Vrabel (ND), 8-5
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant