March 9, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. --- The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team had its first win in the Atlantic Coast Conference today against the higher-ranked Florida State. The Irish beat the Seminoles 6-1 in today’s ACC matchup, moving Notre Dame to 6-6 on the season.
Head coach Jay Louderback said going into the weekend that it was going to be a great opportunity for the 31st-ranked Irish to go up against the 25th-ranked Florida State, proving that Notre Dame can battle with the most elite teams in college tennis.
“We needed a win today,” Louderback said. “Our kids played well. We definitely were a little tired; we had a long match with Clemson and we’ve played a lot lately. We haven’t had much of a break lately. We won the doubles point today, which was big for us. All three doubles combinations looked good. For us, we needed to win a match, and we got our first ACC win.”
Louderback was trying out new doubles teams at No. 2 and No. 3 this weekend, and the fresh duos did the trick for Notre Dame today. Senior Britney Sanders and sophomore Quinn Gleason were the first to beat their opponents, taking down Kerrie Cartwright and Daneika Borthwick, 8-6. Then the senior team of Jennifer Kellner and Julie Sabacinski sealed the doubles point for the Irish on court two, beating Duda Santos and Majlena Pederson, 8-5. Monica Robinson and Jane Fennelly’s match at No. 3 was left unfinished.
In singles, freshman Mary Closs was the first off the court for Notre Dame, defeating Kristina Schleich in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6. Sanders then fell in a hard-fought match to Borthwick, 7-5, 6-4, at No. 1 singles.
After that loss, it was smooth sailing for the Irish. Kellner defeated Daniela Schippers at No. 3, 6-4, 6-3. Despite losing a quick first set, Gleason battled back to clinch the match for Notre Dame, beating Cartwright, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1.
Robinson and sophomore Julie Vrabel both finished off their matches after the clinch, adding another two wins to the Notre Dame side of the scoreboard.
The Irish continue their schedule with yet another match this Tuesday, Mar. 11 at College of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. The match will begin at 2 p.m.
1. Daneika Borthwick (FSU) def. Britney Sanders (ND), 7-5, 6-4
2. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Kerrie Cartwright (FSU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Daniela Schippers (FSU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Mia Vriens (FSU), 7-6, 6-4
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Kristina Schleich (FSU), 6-2, 7-6
6. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Majlena Pederson (FSU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
1. Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND) def. Kerrie Cartwright/Danieka Borthwick (FSU), 8-6
2. Jennifer Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Duda Santos/Majlena Pederson (FSU), 8-5
3. Kristina Schleich/Mia Vriens (FSU) vs. Jane Fennelly/Monica Robinson (ND), 6-5
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant