March 11, 2014
CHARLESTON, S.C. --- With such a harsh winter in South Bend, the Notre Dame women's tennis team certainly hasn't had a lot of experience practicing on outdoor courts. But as the Irish took on the College of Charleston this afternoon, they made the adjustment without any trouble at all, besting the Cougars, 7-0.
"We didn't panic today when we were down in some of our matches," said head coach Jay Louderback. "With only one practice day outdoors, we did a great job of adjusting to the elements."
Just as in their victory over Florida State on Sunday, the women took the doubles point against Charleston. Relatively new teams of seniors Jennifer Kellner and Julie Sabacinski and freshmen Jane Fennelly and Monica Robinson both defeated their opponents at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles.
The Irish continued their dominance once the teams moved into singles play. After dropping her first set to Jenny Falcone, sophomore Julie Vrabel beat her opponent without dropping a single game in the next two sets, 0-6, 6-0, 6-0. Second off the court was senior Britney Sanders, who took her first set in a close tiebreaker before coming back to claim a 6-0 second set against Kelly Kambourelis at No. 1 singles.
Robinson triumphed over Samantha Maddox, 6-3, 6-3 and Kellner clinched the match for Notre Dame with her 6-1, 6-4 victory over Mara Argyriou.
Notre Dame will continue playing on the road this Saturday against Boston College. The match will start at 5 p.m. on Mar. 15.
1. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Kelly Kambourelis (CHAR), 7-6, 6-0
2. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Brook McAmis (CHAR), 3-6, 6-4, (10-3)
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Mara Argyriou (CHAR), 6-1, 6-4
4. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Samantha Maddox (CHAR), 6-3, 6-3
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Katherine Schofield (CHAR), 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Jenny Falcone (CHAR), 0-6, 6-0, 6-0
1. Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND) vs. Jenny Falcone/Katherine Schofield (CHAR), 5-4
2. Jennifer Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Kelly Kambourelis/Mara Argyiou (CHAR), 8-0
3. Jane Fennelly/Monica Robinson (ND) def. Samantha Maddox/Jamie Harrell (CHAR), 8-3
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant