March 13, 2017
By Joanne Norell
RICHMOND, Va. -- The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team started the week of Spring Break on a high note, defeating Richmond 7-0 Monday at the Raintree Racquet Club and running their current win streak to nine matches.
How It Happened
The Irish kicked things off with a win at doubles, with seniors Mary Closs and Monica Robinson combining for a 6-3 victory over Brittany Boys and Gaby Rosales at the No. 1 position and juniors Brooke Broda and Allison Miller defeating Kiana Marshall and Lyndell Geffinig 6-1 at No. 2.
In singles, Robinson defeated Dessislava Zlateva on Court 1, Broda upended Rosales at No. 2 and Miller bounced Lea Owens at No. 3. Freshman Zoe Spence improved to 12-1 with a win over Marshall at No. 4, Closs cruised past Boys at No. 5 and senior Jane Fennelly dispatched Kelsey Williams at No. 6.
- The Irish improved to 12-1 on the season, which is the program's best start since beginning the 2010 season 12-1. The 2010 team finished the season with a 26-4 record and reached the semifinal of the NCAA Championship.
- Notre Dame’s current nine-match winning streak (Feb. 12-present) is also its best since that 2010 season, when the Irish put together two winning streaks of nine matches or more. The Irish won nine straight matches from Feb. 5-March 9, 2010, and 11 consecutive decisions from April 5-May 22, 2010.
- Freshman Zoe Spence picked up her 12th dual singles win of the season, which leads the team. She is 17-5 in singles going back to the fall.
- Senior Mary Closs improved to 9-0 in dual singles play.
- Senior Monica Robinson bumped up her record to 10-1 and is on pace for the best singles season of her career.
The Irish next head 50 miles east to Williamsburg, Virginia, where they will face William & Mary at 3 p.m. ET at the Millie West Tennis Facility.
ScoreboardNotre Dame 7, Richmond 0
March 13, 2017
Raintree Racquet Club
1. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Dessislava Zlateva (RICH) 6-2, 6-2
2. Brooke Broda (ND) def. Gaby Rosales (RICH) 6-1, 6-3
3. Allison Miller (ND) def. Lea Owens (RICH) 0-6, 7-5, 10-2
4. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Kiana Marshall (RICH) 6-1, 6-1
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Brittany Boys (RICH) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Kelsey Williams (RICH) 6-1, 6-1
1. Monica Robinson / Mary Closs (ND) def. Brittany Boys / Gaby Rosales (RICH) 6-3
2. Allison Miller / Brooke Broda (ND) def. Kiana Marshall / Lyndell Giffenig (RICH) 6-1
3. Jane Fennelly / Zoe Spence (ND) vs. Lea Owens / Dessislava Zlateva (RICH) 5-3, unfinished
-- ND --
Joanne Norell, athletics communications assistant director at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since 2014 and coordinates communications efforts for the Notre Dame women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and fencing programs. Norell is a 2011 graduate of Purdue University, where she earned a bachelor's degree in mass communication, and earned her master's degree in sports industry management from Georgetown University in 2013.