March 16, 2014
BOSTON, Mass. --- The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team finished its spring break with a decisive 6-1 victory over Boston College earlier today. The victory added to a three-match winning streak for the 8-6 Irish.
“This win was a complete team effort starting with the doubles,” said head coach Jay Louderback. “Boston College has a very deep line up. The 6-1 score doesn't indicate how close the match was. This was a great finish to our spring break.”
Notre Dame’s doubles teams continued to get the job done, with senior Britney Sanders and sophomore Quinn Gleason notching an 8-2 victory at No. 1 and seniors Jennifer Kellner and Julie Sabacinksi beating their Boston College opponents, 8-4, at No. 2.
Louderback was not downplaying the closeness of the match—four singles matchups went to third sets. Only freshman Mary Closs won in straight sets, and she pulled off the victory in a tight second-set tiebreak of her own, besting Jennifer Ren, 6-2, 7-6(4).
The Irish continue ACC play next Friday, Mar. 21 as they will travel to Charlottesville, Va., to play Virginia.
1. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Jessica Wacnik (BC), 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Katya Vasilyev (BC), 7-6(6), 5-7, (10-8)
3. Lexi Borr (BC) def. Jennifer Kellner (ND), 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
4. Mary Closs (ND) def. Jennifer Ren (BC), 6-2, 7-6(4)
5. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Emily Safron (BC), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
6. Molly O’Koniewski (ND) def. Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC), 6-4 (retired)
1. Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND) def. Jennifer Ren/Heini Salonen (BC), 8-2
2. Julie Sabacinski/Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Katya Vasilyev/Lexi Borr (BC), 8-4
3. Jessica Wacnik/Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC) vs. Jane Fennelly/Monica Robinson (ND), unfinished
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant