March 23, 2014
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- The University of Notre Dame women's tennis team dropped a match to UNC today, 6-1. The Irish are now 8-8 on the season.
The weekend was a rough one for Notre Dame, as they faced two tough ACC opponents on the road, both of which were ranked in the top 10. Despite this struggle, head coach Jay Louderback said the team is playing well and are looking forward to the upcoming post-season.
"I thought our singles play over the weekend was very good," Louderback said. "We just finished a tough stretch where we played the top five teams with four of those on the road. Quinn's [Gleason] win today shows how she has been playing--she was very aggressive in her match against UNC and that was the difference. Britney Sanders also played well in tight matches this weekend against two of the top ranked players."
Sophomore Quinn Gleason's victory today was the lone win for the Irish. She triumphed over UNC's Hayley Carter, 6-4, 6-4. Sanders went up against Jamie Loeb, the No. 1 player in the country, but lost, 6-3, 7-5.
North Carolina, ranked 10th in the country, has four singles players and two doubles teams in the ITA rankings, making for a hard-hitting opponent for the Irish.
Notre Dame will play Marquette at home this Wednesday, Mar. 26. Action will get started at Eck Tennis Pavilion at 3:30 p.m.
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (NC) def. Britney Sanders (ND) 6-3, 7-5
2. #57 Quinn Gleason (ND) def. #5 Hayley Carter (NC) 6-4, 6-4
3. #41 Caroline Price (NC) def. Jennifer Kellner (ND) 7-6, 7-6 (7-5)
4. #111 Whitney Kay (NC) def. Monica Robinson (ND) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kate Vialle (NC) def. Mary Closs (ND) 6-3, 6-4
6. Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Julie Vrabel (ND) 7-5, 6-3
1. #9 Jamie Loeb/Hayley Carter (NC) def. #19 Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND) 8-3
2. #15 Caroline Price/Whitney Kay (NC) def. Jennifer Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND) 8-5
3. Ashley Dai/Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Jane Fennelly/Monica Robinson (ND) 7-3
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant