April 15, 2018
By Michael Scholl
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The University of Notre Dame women's tennis team, playing its final road match of the 2017-18 regular season, fell at No. 28 Syracuse, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon.
The Irish (10-12, 2-10 ACC) played the weekend without injured freshman Cameron Corse, a regular in both the singles and doubles lineups this season. The Orange improved to 16-6 and 7-6 in ACC play.
How It Happened
The Orange took the doubles points thanks to wins on courts three and one. At court three it was a 6-0 win by Anna Shkudun and Sofya Golubovskaya over Notre Dame's Ally Bojczuk and Rachel Chong. Court one saw the Irish duo of Brooke Broda and Zoe Spence fall to the nation's 13th-ranked doubles team of Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez, 6-4.
The first singles win for the Orange came at the top of the line-up where Knutson, fourth nationally in ITA singles rankings, defeated Miller, 6-3, 6-2. Libi Mesh secured a straight set victory over Chong (6-0, 6-2) at court five to make it 3-0 before the match was clinched at four singles where Shkudun defeated Bojczuk, 7-5, 6-2.
The Irish previously fell to Boston College, 4-3, on Friday, with results delayed arriving from Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. The Eagles took a tightly contest doubles point after Notre Dame's pair of Miller and Bess Waldram took a 6-2 win at two singles, BC clinched the point with a 7-6 win at three doubles. Spence, Bojczuk and Chong were the singles winners for the Irish on courts three, four and five, respectively.
#28 Syracuse 4, Notre Dame 0
Apr 15, 2018 at Syracuse, N.Y. (Drumlins Tennis Club)
1. #4 Gabriela Knutson (SU) def. Allison Miller (ND) 6-3, 6-2
2. Miranda Ramirez (SU) vs. Brooke Broda (ND) 6-3, 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
3. Sofya Golubovskaya (SU) vs. Zoe Spence (ND) 4-6, 6-2, 1-4, unfinished
4. Anna Shkudun (SU) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 7-5, 6-2
5. Libi Mesh (SU) def. Rachel Chong (ND) 6-0, 6-2
6. Dina Hegab (SU) vs. Caroline Dunleavy (ND) 5-7, 2-4, unfinished
1. #13 Gabriela Knutson/Miranda Ramirez (SU) def. Brooke Broda/Zoe Spence (ND) 6-4
2. Maria Tritou/Dina Hegab (SU) vs. Allison Miller/Bess Waldram (ND) 4-3, unfinished
3. Anna Shkudun/Sofya Golubovskaya (SU) def. Ally Bojczuk/Rachel Chong (ND) 6-0
Order Of Finish
Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,5,4)
Notre Dame returns to the Courtney Tennis Center on Friday, April 20, to host No. 18 Florida State at 4 p.m. The Irish cap the regular season on Sunday, April 22, when No. 16 Miami visits for a Noon match.
-- ND --
Michael Scholl has been a member of the Fighting Irish Media communications staff at his alma mater since August 2016. He serves as the secondary contact for the Irish football and hockey teams while coordinating communications efforts for the women's tennis program. Scholl has previously worked in communications at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Providence College, Vanderbilt University and the University of Cincinnati. The South Bend, Indiana, native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts and Letters in 2009.