April 25, 2014
CARY, N.C. --- The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team fell short today in the quarterfinals of the ACC Championship, dropping a match to the No. 2 seed, Miami, 4-2. Though the Irish had a match start time of 11:30, two weather delays meant the action didn’t finish until after 7 p.m.
In doubles, senior Britney Sanders and sophomore Quinn Gleason fell to Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno 8-2 at No. 1 and the No. 3 team of freshman Mary Closs and junior Molly O’Koniewski lost to Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lilekite, 8-6.
Thunderstorms in the area pushed the singles competition to the indoor facility at the University of North Carolina, where Gleason and freshman Monica Robinson would battle to earn tough, gritty wins for the Irish that put them back in the match. Gleason defeated Kelsey Laurente, 7-6, 7-6, and Robinson came back after a tough first set to beat Riobueno, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4.
Miami clinched the match at No. 5 singles, where Melissa Bolivar defeated Closs in three sets, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
“We gave ourselves an opportunity to win,” said head coach Jay Louderback. “Monica and Quinn had good wins and Jennifer [Kellner] had just split when the match was clinched. Today's match shows us we can compete with top-10 teams.”
The Irish now look toward the NCAA Championship, beginning May 9.
1. #30 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Britney Sanders (ND) 6-2, 7-6
2. #39 Quinn Gleason
(ND) def. #61 Kelsey Laurente (UM) 7-6, 7-6
3. #90 Lina Lileikite (UM) vs. Jennifer Kellner (ND) 6-7, 6-5, unfinished
4. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Clementina Riobueno (UM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Mary Closs (ND) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
6. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Julie Vrabel (ND) 6-3, 6-2
1. #11 Monique Albuquerque/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. #15 Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND) 8-2
2. Julie Sabacinski/Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. #46 Kelsey Laurente/Melissa Bolivar (UM) 5-4
3. Stephanie Wagner/Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Molly O'Koniewski/Mary Closs (ND) 8-6
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant