Feb. 17, 2017
By Joanne Norell
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team will wrap up a three-match road stint this weekend when the Irish head south to face Indiana on Saturday and Atlantic Coast Conference foe Louisville on Sunday.
WHO: Notre Dame (4-1, 1-0 ACC) vs. Indiana (5-3)
WHERE: IU Tennis Center | Bloomington, Ind.
WHEN: 11 a.m. ET Saturday
RESULTS: Live Stats
WHO: Notre Dame vs. Louisville (7-1, 0-0 ACC)
WHERE: Bass-Rudd Tennis Center | Louisville, Ky.
WHEN: Noon ET Sunday
On The Hoosiers
- Indiana enters Saturday’s match with a 5-3 record and are coming off a 5-0 loss to Tennessee last Sunday.
- The Hoosiers are led by Madison Appel, who is 3-1 at No. 1 singles this spring, and Pauline Jahren, who is 4-2 on the season. In doubles, Jahren and Paula Gutierrez are 6-2 on the year.
- The Irish are 18-11 all-time against the Hoosiers, including 18-8 under head coach Jay Louderback.
On The Cardinals
- The Cardinals are off to their best start in two years with seven wins in eight matches — already equaling their win total from 2016. They travel to Marshall on Friday before welcoming the Irish on Sunday. Louisville’s first match against a Power Five opponent will be against the Irish.
- Louisville is led in singles by Aleksandra Mally and Mariana Humburg, who each have just one loss in dual play heading into the weekend.
- The Irish are 6-0 in the series against the Cardinals including 5-0 under Louderback.
Last Time Out
Notre Dame pulled out a 4-3 victory Sunday at Illinois in a contest that saw every singles match reach a third set. After dropping the doubles point, the Irish got wins from Monica Robinson, Brooke Broda, Allison Miller and Zoe Spence to leave the Atkins Tennis Center with an important road victory.
The Irish boast three singles players with at least four wins in five matches so far this season, led by freshman Zoe Spence at 5-0. Senior Monica Robinson is also undefeated with a 4-0 record, while junior Allison Miller sports a 4-1 mark.
Junior Brooke Broda and senior Monica Robinson entered the Oracle/ITA DIvision I National Women’s Doubles Rankings last week, debuting at No. 32. The duo are 9-4 overall on the season, and 3-2 in dual play.
Keeping Up With The Irish
All indoor home matches will be streamed live on WatchND. Live scoring will be available for all home tennis matches at UND.com, with links for each match available on the women’s tennis schedule page. Live match updates will also be shared on the team’s Twitter account, @NDWomensTennis.
Joanne Norell, athletics communications assistant at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since 2014 and coordinates communications efforts for the Notre Dame women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and fencing programs. Norell is a 2011 graduate of Purdue University and earned her master's degree from Georgetown University in 2013.