Oct. 13, 2013
KALAMAZOO, Mich. --- While their teammates move through the main draw at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships this weekend, junior Katherine White and sophomores Alaina Roberts and Darby Mountford traveled to Western Michigan University to compete in the Bronco Invitational at the Sorenson Courts.
The Irish engaged in two days of play in Kalamazoo, Mich. Assistant coach Catrina Thompson went with the three players and says the Irish proved to be strong competitors over the course of the weekend.
“Overall, I was very pleased with the girls’ play this weekend,” Thompson says. “All three girls competed hard, and we had a strong showing by Katherine White, who had a perfect weekend going undefeated in singles and doubles play.”
Head coach Jay Louderback said last week that the Bronco Invitational was a good chance for these three girls to get in more experience with match play during the lighter fall season. As Thompson said, White’s performance was especially strong during the weekend. Mountford also won all three of her doubles matches, with Roberts splitting her two singles matches and won two of three doubles matches.
The rest of the Irish squad continues to play in Ann Arbor, Mich., competing for the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. Stay up to date with Irish play here at UND.com at the end of every day.
- White d. Norgen (IPFW) – 6-2, 6-2
- White d. Fernades (UD) – 6-1, 6-3
- Mountford d. Sorokina (IPFW) – 6-3, 7-5
- Eristavi (WMU) d. Mountford – 7-6 (6), 6-1
- Roberts d. Bridegroom (IUPUI) – 6-4, 6-2
- King (WMU) d. Roberts – 6-4, 6-0
- White/Roberts d. Whyte/Swartwood (IUPUI) – 8-6
- White/Mountford d. Norgen/Trveino (IPFW) – 8-5
- White/Mountford d. Fernades/Halabi (UD) – 8-5
- Strakhova (UD)/Mountford d. Phyle/Guevara (Oakland) – 8-3
- Roberts/Sorokina (IPFW) d. Phyle/Guevara (Oakland) – 8-4
- Kuhle/Eristavi (WMU) d. Strakhova (UD)/Roberts – 8-6
--Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant