Nov. 3, 2009
Sophomore Kristen Dealy has become a consistent force for the Irish over the past two years. Through 20 matches this season, the Santa Barbara Calif., native is averaging 3.24 kills and 2.91 digs per game. The 6-0 outside hitter has 18 services aces and 23 total blocks. Dealy sat down with UND.com to tell us a little more about herself.
1. What is your favorite class that you've taken at Notre Dame so far and why?
21st Century American Literature with Professor Benedict. The material was so fun to read and I really learned how to dissect a book in order to enjoy it more.
2. If you could trade places with any other person at Notre Dame, who would it be and why?
Brendan King, because he is just so agile on the soccer field and everyone wants to be friends with him.
3. What is the best place you've been able to play volleyball during your college career?
Our team went to Italy this summer; it was awesome.
4. If you didn't play volleyball, what other sport would you love to play and why?
World championship ping-pong. Such eye hand coordination.
5. Can you describe the best book you've read recently?
The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche. I read it in Philosophy of Existentialist Themes, and thought it was surprisingly interesting.
6. What is your favorite memory with the volleyball team?
Probably the Italy trip. Our team is hilarious and when we spend too much time together we basically lose our minds. It's epic.
7. Best dining hall food?
Hummus - God's greatest creation.
8. If you had to write the Question of the Day for The Observer, what would your question be?
On a scale of one to 10, how badly do you want to be friends with Kristen Dealy?
9. What's your favorite TV show?
Friday Night Lights.
10. What made you decide to double major in American Studies and Film, Television and Theater (FTT)?
11. What is currently playing on your iPod?
I like the communications and entertainment aspects of FTT. I want to go to law school, and American Studies is a good major for that.
The new Rebelution CD.
12. What is the best way to fight off boredom on road trips?
We play various children's games, straighten each others' hair, watch inspirational movies, and, of course, catch up on homework.
13. Would you rather be able to fly or have the power of invisibility?
Fly. Walking takes too much time, and I would feel way too creepy being invisible.
14. If you had two weeks and unlimited funds to travel to any country in the world, where would you go and what would you do?
I would take everyone I like to Greece and be ridiculous.
15. What are your goals for this season?
To go undefeated in BIG EAST, do well in the NCAA tournament and have fun.
16. What is the most embarrassing thing to happen to you at Notre Dame?
Embarrassing things tend to happen to me often; there are just too many.
17. Do you prefer to study in CoMo (Coleman-Morse), the library, or somewhere else?
The library. Except everyone hates me because my voice is too loud.
18. What's your favorite late-night snack from LaFortune?
19. What do you miss most about California when you're at school?
The beach and frozen yogurt.
20. What is your favorite movie and how many times have you seen it?
"Remember The Titans." I've probably seen it over 20 times.
21. Who is the funniest person you know?
Megan Dunne. She is just so witty.
-- ND --